For some reason, it has been a little harder this week to remember to count up my “three blessings”, although it hasn’t been a bad week. In fact, it was a GOOD week, because we had a lovely Valentine’s Day. So here goes:
- We had a lovely Valentine’s Day! And actually a whole Valentine’s weekend. Because my dear husband couldn’t wait for Sunday to give me a bouquet of red roses, so he gave them to me early; and because we and the kids made a luscious brunch together on Sunday.
- My special programs at work this week are going well. Because my small team worked very hard to get the daily wellness events and details right, and people are responding to them.
- I had a short chair massage! Because in the midst of carrying out wellness programs for everyone else in my workplace this week, I was reminded to take a break for myself too — I had forgotten how great even a short massage feels!
There. It has been a pretty great week after all; remembering that is the whole point of “What Went Well”, so I guess it worked!
- I took one of my daughters and a friend of hers to see the Alvin Ailey Dance Company perform — wow! We’ve seen them before but they amaze me every time, especially their signature piece, “Revelations.” Because the creative spirit is a gift and we are blessed to have such artists among us.
- I planted twenty lily of the valley pips before the temperatures dropped into the 20s! Because I love lily of the valley, was lucky enough to find fresh pips in our local garden center, and made the time to plant them.
- One of my staff won a great award in our workplace. Because he works hard to help other people.
Pretty good week! How about you?
Alvin Ailey “Revelations”.
What were my “three blessings” this week?
- My sisters and I teamed up to handle a caregiving crisis with our elderly mother, and all’s well that ends well; she is fine, and a reliable caregiver is back in place. Because we shared information and divided up tasks, and supported each other.
- My nice husband has finalized some lovely travel plans for the whole family. Because he loves us and shows that by the many things he does for us.
- I had lunch today with a really nice new colleague and that makes me optimistic about improvements to come in my workplace. Because it is better to work with happy, thoughtful people than their opposites.
What went well for you this week? Please share in the comments! Have a great week and weekend!
A lot of things can go well in the week between Christmas and New Year’s. Top three:
- Christmas! Because.
- We had a wonderful family gathering with cousins. Because even in all of our busy lives, we try to maintain connection especially around the holidays.
- I have been able to work from home this week, and I cherish just being able to be in the house while the kids are around. Because I am lucky to have a job that offers some flexibility.
I hope you all have had wonderful holidays, a merry Christmas if you celebrate it, and a happy soon-to-be New Year!
During Advent, I remember many blessings, but since this is “What Went Well Wednesday” and my practice is to list three, I’ll stick with that!
- This one is huge: my daughter was accepted last night, early decision, by her first choice college! Because she has worked hard in school, stayed focused on her studies, and is all ’round terrific!
- My oldest comes home from college tonight and we can’t wait. Just because!
- The weather is so spring-like this week that the roses are still blooming and I even saw some confused forsythia starting to blossom. Because? I have no idea but I’m enjoying it.
Please share what went well for you in the comments; I am finding this to be a very helpful mindfulness practice.
My “three blessings” this week all relate to the Advent season.
- We had a real holiday dinner party with four other adults and it was a big success! It also motivated us to clean up the house, put up the tree and set out other Christmas decorations, so everything looked really nice and that is helping us feel the spirit of the season. Because we are so fortunate, and thankful for the gifts we have already received.
- Our son had a short solo in last week’s Lessons and Carols service at his school. He sang the first verse of “Away in a Manger” then the rest of the choir joined in — we were very proud, and the music was lovely. Because he works hard to meet the music director’s expectations, and we feel lucky that he has not one but two outstanding choral teachers, one at school and one at church.
- I found two potted Christmas roses to put on the dinner table, which made me very happy. Because I love hellebores and both my holiday tablecloth and my winter china have Christmas roses on them.
Happy Advent, Hanukkah and other holidays of the season!
A banner week for What Went Well! I mean, it included Thanksgiving. Which is basically the whole point of What Went Well Wednesdays – to be mindful, and thankful, about the many blessings in one’s life. Even if we only describe “three blessings” per week. So here goes:
- My oldest came home from college for the long weekend and the whole house lit up with laughter, noise and happy bustle. Because she and her siblings are happy, cheerful young people who love each other and truly enjoy each other’s company.
- I did some serious gardening for the first time since breaking my arm this past summer! Because my arm is doing much, much better and I had groundcovers to get started between the flagstones of a new little patio. Not to mention daffodil bulbs, some of my favorite flowers. Now if I could only find some good lily of the valley pips …
- I got some Christmas shopping done early. Because my kids dragged me out on Black Friday but had enough mercy to avoid the mall and other horrors.
- And one extra, in honor of Thanksgiving: the turkey came out perfectly, and all the food tasted great. Because we are so fortunate to be able to enjoy the abundance of the earth.
I hope you all had a lovely Thanksgiving! What are your “three blessings” for the week?